About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Monday 21 February 2011

Shell shapes, different techniques...


After experimenting with different directional slits and having looked at using a cut out net, I thought I would meet them both half way by creating thin slits. I found it represented almost a zebra skin pattern, but once in a 3D shape this texture was lost and a more flowing, organic shape was created. The unusual and non-identical, yet still repetitive pattern creates an unusual texture which shows a direction of flow and creates a unique texture.


Using the same net I looked at creating different shapes by attaching the 4 corners of the paper in different places. All using staples. This is not a method I intend for my final piece, I would like a more discreet way of attaching the paper, however for experimenting purposes it means I can easily remove the staples and reuse the paper.


This shape reminds me of one I created at the beginning using the simple slit shapes. This design was created only using 3 corners being attached. 


In many of the workshops Richard Sweeney mentioned pleating, however until now I have not really got around to experimenting with this technique. Similar to the technique I have been focussing on I found that it allowed the paper to be manipulated much more easily. I felt that the pleating also created an interesting texture which could represent some of the shells I have seen and photographed.


I found that the width above was difficult to manipulate as the ratio of length/width didn't leave enough room to create spirals and curves. 


I found by curling the shape around on itself it created a shell shape outline, however the shape isn't very intricate. 




The two shapes below I feel would work really well if they were continued into a larger shape, they could be tightly intertwined and wrapped to create a strong, supported structure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment