About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Thursday 17 February 2011

Jen Stark

Once I had thought about the possibility of incorporating colour into my final piece I decided to have a browse through the sculptural side of Jen Stark's work. One thing that is clear is the very strong use of repetition, usually working with concentric circles or similar shapes. 3 pieces stood out to me, and although the shapes are more relevant to that of a flower (which was one of my primary research pieces) the use of colour remains significant even though I have now chosen to look at shells.


This piece I feel is most relevant to my studies. I really like the idea of using one colour in varying shades, eventually ending in white. However I imagine I would use the colour the other way around, with the darker pieces being in the centre of the shell. I think this piece really works as a 3, and it encourages me further towards the idea of creating a set of several smaller pieces rather than one large piece. 


I really like the idea of how this piece really 'bursts' out of the wall. This could be a viable idea for the shell which would allow more scope for adding internal layers without creating a mess.



Similar to the piece above, this gives me similar ideas. The use of white is prevalent throughout Jen's work and seems to create a clean cut atmosphere which enables the audience to focus in on the object itself rather than being distracted by surroundings. My piece however, is designed to be in a busy area of the University which suggests I may need to make it more bold and eye catching - maybe white would contrast to all the other colours going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment