About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Thursday 17 February 2011

Further Shell Experiments

After speaking to Richard during the last workshop, I had decided that I wanted to focus mainly on shells, although it would be interesting to expand and look at coral, snail shells and maybe architecture with similar shapes. After looking at several techniques I found I was most  interested by using the simple slitting technique to create round, bold shapes. However I wanted to look at other ways/shapes of doing this. I have began to look at using different shaped slits, slits in different directions and so on. Here is the outcome of the use of diagonal cuts on an A4 sheet of paper. 


With shells, I find that the internal structure is just as inspiring and interesting as the exterior. Maybe even more so. This is where you can see how he structure is attached and held together, this is something I'd like to look further into. this cutting technique allows this successfully due to the skeletal structure. 


Using slits in another direction, I created the shapes below. What I began to find with this piece is the idea of a structure within another structure. So as you can see there is a smaller, tighter structure within the outer shell due to the direction of bending. This would be interesting to recreate using separate pieces of paper. they could perhaps vary in colour? I like the idea of them getting darker as you head further into the centre of the shape. 


No comments:

Post a Comment