About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Thursday 17 February 2011

Peter Callesen

"I find this materialization of a flat piece of paper into a 3D form almost a magic process - or maybe one could call it obvious magic, because the process is obvious and the figures still stick to their origin, without the possibility of escaping."

- Peter Callesen

 When I first came across Peter Callesen I was mesmerised by his work, it is by far my favourite that I have come across so far, I am just in awe at the pieces he has created and the imagination he must have in order to have came up with this initial idea.


DISTANT WISH, 2006

I could have picked any of his pieces of work to show as my favourites, but I chose pieces that are relevant to the 'organic' and 'natural' theme which I have chosen. Although I failed to find any which were related to shells - maybe I could experiment with this idea/shells? In a way, his work reminds me of Jen Stark's in the sense that the object is coming OUT of the paper. Whereas Richard Sweeney's pieces ARE the paper. 


NAR ALT KOMMER TIL ALT, 2006

This piece is a close up detail of one of his much larger scaled models. Similar to Rob Ryan, the use of cut out is very prevalent throughout his work. Although technically I am cutting the paper in my work by making slits into the paper to create contours etc it may be interesting to cut a different shape into the paper and then see how it can be manipulated into a spiral/shell shape. Although I imagined the shells and sea shells they could in fact be snails shells. Either of these objects/ideas could be cut into the paper before it is manipulated into the final shape.


THE SHORT DISTANCE BETWEEN TIME AND SHADOW, 2006

Although this piece is irrelevant in subject to my project, I was fascinated by this piece. It intrigues me to know how it was made and constructed and I love the size contrast between the 3D and 2D element. 


No comments:

Post a Comment