About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Primary Influences

From my initial 'creations' I found that they leant towards organic, natural forms. I have decided this is the route I want to focus down and have began to collect some photographs of my own, and internet images of subjects that I would like to concentrate on and begin to interpret/communicate my own ideas that represent and suggest these objects. 


TREES. 
Their organic and repetitive nature, although all unique allows me scope for creating a variety of shapes, and maybe a variety of textures. I am interested to see how they will influence my work and how I will find ways to represent their very 3D and cylindrical nature. The idea of a circle of life; tree to paper to tree, also intrigues me.


 

FLOWERS/FRUIT
This shape would possibly need a  more delicate and symmetrical approach, this opens many windows with regards to shapes, sizes, coloured paper and layers. I  am interested to see if i can recreated something that represents this without being too literal or without it looking like a piece of origami!




SHELLS. 
There are already so many shapes, styles and textures to these. Some of my work has already reminded me of these unique shapes, I hope that now I have them as a focal point I will be able to identify them further and use their repetitive nature to create some interesting pieces.



FEATHER.
 This idea came to me when I was experimenting with an idea similar to that of the trees, i experimented with a more fanning technique which when curved and attached very much resembled a spine. A feather allows me to experiment with a much more loose technique, less need for clean cut edges but perhaps a more laisez-faire approach - maybe ripped paper?


WAVES (didn't get chance to go and take my own pictures I'm afraid!)
I accidentally came across this idea when experimenting with the 'slot' idea of attaching paper to itself, it lends itself to the use of layers and curved pieces of paper, although in my piece I found a large area of block paper at the front was very unflattering - this could be something I may work on?


Below are a few beginnings of ideas of waves and trees that i created using simple paper manipulation techniques - I used no glue/staples etc just folded/curled the paper etc:


WAVES..



TREE...







No comments:

Post a Comment