About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Thursday 17 February 2011

Different Cut Direction, Experimentation

I chose to look at different ways and directions to cut the sheets of paper in order to create new shapes and textures. Some of the outcomes were not very successful I felt.


The first 3 photographs below were created a net of half vertical strips, and half horizontal strips. Using a square piece of paper I didn't succeed in creating the full bodied shape I was aiming for. The use of 2 different directions allows you to create curves in contrasting directions. 



This piece below beings to demonstrated the idea of an internal structure which can be seen through the external wall. I would like to emphasise this idea further, and think colour would be really useful here. I intend to research some designers who work with paper AND colour, unlike Richard Sweeney, who is more focussed on the mathematical, engineering side.



This is the reverse side of the shape above. Although I think it looks quite interesting and has some skeletal qualities it looks like it hasn't been considered very much and could do with some tweaking. 


Below I used the net shown above where there are 4 separate sections, 2 with vertical strips and the alternate sections with horizontal strips. Using smaller gaps between the cuts made a more flexible and neat looking shell in my opinion.



The photograph below shows a piece which uses the undulating line shape. I have began to realise that the simple straight line idea may work best as this is manipulated to create a curved shape, whereas if the lines are already curved they create less control and more random, less repetitive shapes. 





Here I returned back the the straight lined cut. However to add texture I pleated the paper, this was unsuccessful so to create a more unique texture I crumpled the paper up and then flattened it out again. I am unsure whether this create an interesting, fun shape or one that looks like its been taken out of the bin...



Some of the shapes above reminded me of a building a walk past nearly every day, the Winter Gardens in Sheffield. The structure there seems to oddly be represented by the paper shapes I have created.



The idea of the two different spaces it what I feel makes the 2 structures similar, the idea of a thick band of subject and then empty space. Also on the Winter Gardens structure there are other smaller bands collecting the adjacent larger ones to each other - this is an idea which I could experiment with?

No comments:

Post a Comment