About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Richard Sweeney Work Shop 2

In this workshop, we once again learnt new techniques in paper manipulation and then practiced them during the session. Below are photographs of a few pieces I experimented with...

Here is my interpretation of the basic pleat show to us by Richard, although it has a simple, geometric and repetitive shape it was difficult to create due to the direction of the folding and manipulating the paper by pulling/pushing/creasing the individual sections to create the desired textured affect. 


Once I had created the basic piece I began to manipulate it simply using my hands to create different shapes, patters and impression, this photograph below was created simply by pinching the centre of one end. This idea could be interesting when focussing on the idea of 'shells'.


this image was created by twisting the existing paper, it creates a more curvaceous shape, however due to the very linear and strong pleats it is difficult to bend and shape too much in this way, using thinner paper or a larger piece of paper may allow more lenience in this area.


In this piece I bent the paper vertically along the width which created a different shape - this could be interesting baring 'tree' in mind.


 Below, I combined two principles, i looked at cutting and pleating which created this very skeletal, hollow shape.. This may be interesting for either 'feathers', 'trees' or maybe even 'shells'.






 The image below was me experimenting with the literal idea of 'feather' i created a rough feather shape out of paper and began to look at twisting it along the spine. I feel that feathers will be hard to represent through paper as they are a very much 2D piece themselves, which leaves little room for scope and imagination.


Below I combined cutting and pleating again, here however I chose to cut along the pleats which created an unusual texture and shape, the repetition here is found in the folds although the shape itself is very organic and flowing.. This to me these three images below could represent waves or the stem of a plant.!




No comments:

Post a Comment