About Me

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Task 2, GF Smith Paper

When I began looking at GFSmith Paper I began by taking a look at their website to get a better idea of what they are about. 



I felt that their corporate image/web layout suggested quite a minimalistic feel with a lot of empty space but then big impact images in the rest of the space. Perhaps taking on Abram Games's mantra of 'Maximum Meaning, Minimum Means.' I have decided that this idea is something that I would like to take forward, I feel it is important not to over complicate the poster design, keeping it simple and to the point, emphasising the idea of an organic, home grown, interesting company.

I also really liked the use of negative space, and using negative space for text, I felt it created a very clean cut, bold feel to the page.


I looked at some existing posters relevant to GFSmith, below is their actual 111 years celebration poster, similar to their website, I feel they have used a minimalistic approach using 2 colours and white. The use of overlapping text creates interesting shapes, although I feel it causes it to lose some impact as the text is more difficult to read (maybe this is what they wanted so that the audience have to concentrate more on the poster? may create more interest etc.)




Logo:



The main points I wanted to get across in my poster, after I had read about the company and its growth etc were:
- Organic, growing company
- Very bright future, continually growing
- Professional, sleek
- Minimalistic but effective

I began by sketching out some simple thumbnail layouts until I found some that I liked the idea of. I began by using existing images I had take to get a feel for the poster and to get some ideas flowing about what sort of shapes/colours etc I wanted to use.


I began with some very simple and plain layouts based, simply experimenting with the space available, as well as text colours and image colours. Progressing this slightly by changing positions, layouts, grid structures and font/image sizes...

 
  

I plan on continuing to experiment with different photographs, I have also taken some new images of smaller models I have created which I want to incorporate. 

Using the photographs I have taken and using models I need to construct something which represents 'many years' and shows a range of uses for paper. I feel the piece above does show these things and creates a very natural, sleek shape which is interesting to add text to aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment